Personality is a set of characteristics that set people apart from one another. It often influences how people interact with others and the world around them. Personality even defines a person’s thoughts, beliefs, attitudes, behaviors, and feelings. Subsequently, it even plays a role in the maintenance of relationships, handling of tasks, and perusal of interests.
A person with a healthy personality is able to navigate all of the aforementioned scenarios. However, a personality disorder can make it difficult for a person to navigate life and relationships. The presence of personality disorders and addiction in individuals takes this issue a step further to make it seemingly impossible to get through life in a happy and healthy manner.
At Orlando Treatment Solutions, we provide comprehensive treatment for individuals who are struggling with mental health issues and substance use disorders. Our program leaders are ready to help today!
What is a Personality Disorder?
A personality disorder is a mental health condition that impacts the way a person thinks, feels, and behaves overall. These conditions affect how a person both perceives the world around them and how they interact with it. Generally, personality disorders feature patterns of unhealthy, or even dangerous, thoughts, behaviors, and feelings.
The patterns of thought and behavior in people with personality disorders are pervasive and long-term. This means that over time, the condition does not resolve itself. The symptoms are also inflexible as the sufferers will fail to manage everyday stress and interactions if left untreated. Subsequently, people with a personality disorder experience problems at home, in relationships, or at work.
Additionally, individuals with a personality disorder can experience mild to severe symptoms. Often, the person with a personality disorder can fail to realize they have a mental health condition. Their thoughts may appear normal to themselves, leaving them confused as to why issues with others often arise. concerningly, this can lead a person to cope with drugs or alcohol, leading to an addiction.
CALL US NOW
Orlando Treatment Solutions will iron out the details for you in a manner that will make you confident in your path to sobriety. That first simple call is your ticket to making Orlando Treatment Solutions your solution for addiction. Get the freedom from addiction that you deserve today.Call us now on (386) 264-6000
The Different Types of Personality Disorders
There are different types of personality disorders, and each one can have a different impact on a person’s life. The different personality disorders are organized into clusters. These clusters are defined by the symptoms that personality disorders cause.
The personality disorder cluster A features personality disorders that produce odd, eccentric behavior. these include the following disorders:
- Paranoid personality disorder: A disorder characterized by a general mistrust of other people. The persistent suspicion stops the individual from connecting with others.
- Schizoid personality disorder: People with this condition fail to respond with appropriate emotions to stimuli and are withdrawn, aloof, and uninterested in connecting with others.
- Schizotypal personality disorder: This condition causes unusual thoughts, perceptions, behavior, and socialization. Suspiciousness, obsessive thoughts, and unusual beliefs are seen in people who suffer from schizotypal personality disorders.
In cluster B, personality disorders cause erratic, dramatic, and overly emotional thoughts and behaviors. This cluster includes the following disorders:
- Antisocial personality disorder: People with antisocial personality disorder show a lack of conscience and disregard for the rights of others. They often find themselves in legal trouble due to their disregard for laws and social norms.
- Borderline personality disorder: Those with borderline personality disorder have unstable moods, relationships, and self-image. They can be impulsive and aggressive and destructive, while also experiencing periods of intense emptiness and depression.
- Histrionic personality disorder: Histrionic personality disorder features obsessive thoughts about appearances and the approval of other people. To inflate their self-worth, people with this condition may engage in inappropriately solicitous behavior.
- Narcissistic personality disorder: People with narcissistic personality disorder have an inflated sense of their own importance, a deep need for admiration, and a lack of empathy for others. They may be excessively critical or even cruel to those around them.
The last cluster, cluster C includes personality disorders that cause anxiety and fear. The disorders in this cluster include:
- Avoidant personality disorder: An avoidant personality disorder causes a person to avoid other people out of fear of rejection or humiliation.
- Dependent personality disorder: This personality disorder is characterized by a pervasive fear of abandonment and an excessive need to be taken care of.
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder: People with obsessive-compulsive personality disorder are preoccupied with orderliness and perfectionism, often to the point where it interferes with their work or social life.
The Link Between Personality Disorders and Drug Addiction
It is not uncommon for personality disorders and addiction to co-occur. In fact, it is estimated that around 50% of people who struggle with addiction also have a mental illness. Among people with a personality disorder, there is a high prevalence of a co-occurring substance use disorder being present. There are a few reasons why personality disorders and addiction tend to go hand in hand. People with personality disorders may use drugs or alcohol as a way to cope with feelings of social incapacity, escape negative thoughts, or feel better about themselves.
Unfortunately, this type of self-medication can lead to a substance use disorder as the individual becomes addicted to the substance they are abusing. Since a person with a personality disorder is already prone to unstable behavior, it is dangerous for them to use substances that further impair the parts of the brain associated with impulse control and emotional regulation.
Treatment for Personality Disorders and Drug Addiction with Orlando Treatment Solutions
Treatment for personality disorders and addiction can be difficult, but it is possible to recover from and manage the symptoms of these serious conditions. At Orlando Treatment Solutions, we offer a variety of dual diagnosis treatment options for those suffering from co-occurring mental health and substance use disorders. Additionally, our programs are tailored to your specific needs. Your treatment program may include any number of the following interventions:
- Behavioral therapy sessions
- One-on-one counseling
- Group therapy
- Family-focused therapy
- Relapse prevention
- Support groups and 12-step meetings
- Consistent aftercare support
If you or someone you love is suffering from personality disorders and drug addiction, we can help. Our caring and expertly trained staff are ready to help you or someone close to you break free from the grips of addiction. Contact our Orlando addiction treatment center today to learn how we can help you.
Years of experience
Our Program Leaders have had extensive experience in Addiction Treatment and are ready to help those who are struggling with addiction.
Our Staff consists of many licensed addiction treatment facilitators and other staff who are ready to share their experience and their success’.
Orlando Treatment solutions has helped over 2,000 people who have struggled with alcohol and drug addiction find freedom from addiction.
GET IN TOUCH
Reaching out to Orlando Treatment Solutions may be the most important call of your recovery process. A caring professional is waiting for your call to be your guide to addiction-free living.